Benefits of Floating
What’s truly impressive about float tanks is that almost every one of these benefits lasts for several days past the float itself.
The longer and the more often the float tank is used the stronger the effects become, the longer they last, and the better off someone is when they come in to float again.
This creates a positive spiral of recovery and health that simply works to reinforce itself, giving people a path and a means towards a better life.
Pain Relief & Injury Recovery
In addition to the constant pain, physical injuries keep many people from working. Floating can help people receive natural pain relief and get back to work faster. Float tanks are known and are not limited to the following benefits in regards to pain relief:
- Expediting healing in broken bones
- Expediting healing in sprained joints
- Relief from back and/or neck pain
- Spinal alignment
- Physical rehabilitation
- It's awesome after a hard workout
What’s uniquely exciting about this relief from Fibromyalgia is that it’s a condition that currently has very few known remedies. A recent pilot study with Fibromyalgia patients found a significant decrease in pain both from the beginning to the end of a float, and from float session to float session.
Stress is very common throughout our culture, and the damage this can have on the human body is well documented. Our fight-or-flight system basically gives priority to a select number of our bodies faculties at the expense of most of our basic regulatory functions. This is an effective means of surviving a tricky situation, but its not how our bodies are meant to be constantly running.
A plethora of disorders arise from our bodies not being able to return to their comfortable homeostasis. Severe enough stress can even completely stunt growth in the human body. Float tanks are possibly the most relaxing environment we can put our bodies into. Stress relief comes almost instantly from floating, and simply gets stronger the more you float. Consistent floating can help alleviate anxiety and depression, burn out syndrome, hypertension, arthritis, inflammation, sore muscles, migraine or tension headaches, and much more.
Float tanks have huge implications for athletics, mostly stemming from the fact that you can actually train your body harder and faster with the use of a float tank. This means that anything from gyms, to private trainers, to high level athletes could benefit from floating.
- Lactic acid reduction
- Improved reaction time
- Physical recovery - Our bodies can physically rest up to 4 times faster in a float tank than in a bed. REM cycles are not expedited (so you can’t decrease the amount of time you need to sleep at night), but expedited physical rest can mean a lot to people who are training their bodies. Doing an upper body workout usually requires letting your upper body rest for 48 hours before it will be beneficial to work that same part of the body again. With a float tank, an athlete can simply float after their upper body workout, and then get right back to it the next day.
- Injury recovery - Injuries have been shown to heal up to twice as fast while floating, with a gradually diminishing effect for several days after. This can bring sports players back onto the field faster, and is an ideal treatment to coincide with many forms of physical rehabilitation.
- Injury prevention - Many injuries are a result of stress and tension in the body during the moment of injury. Floating encourages a relaxed physicality that helps prevent injuries from occurring.
We've had many pregnant women float with us and they're some of our most satisfied floaters. By flipping onto the stomach, all the weight of the baby can be effectively removed from the mother’s body, a welcome relief in the 8th or 9th month. We’ve also had women report deep levels of connection with their unborn children while floating in the tank. If you are in your third trimester, or have any concerns, please consult with your physician before coming in.
Even without a float tank, visualization can actually build muscle memory at about 70% the efficiency of actually physically practicing a skill. This is thanks to mirror neurons, one of our brains vital learning mechanisms. Being in the tank provides the ideal environment to take advantage of visualization techniques, increasing this learning efficiency. People have cut strokes off their golf game, developed complex scientific theories, and drafter whole portions of books while floating. With nothing to distract you, your level of concentration and knowledge absorption is astonishing.
Strengthened Immune System
During your float the outside world is gone, and amazing things happen. It turns out that when you're not fighting gravity or constantly taking in information your body has a lot of extra resources at its disposal. The abundance of resources freed up allows your body to reallocate that energy towards building up your defenses, giving you a nice boost of immunity during and after a float. Your mind is free to mull things over without distraction, your brain pumps out dopamine and endorphins, and your body gets to rest, de-stress, and heal. It's likely to be the most relaxing thing you've ever experienced.